Learn to Skate USA Program
The health and safety of our students, coaches, parents and employees is our top priority here at The Philadelphia Skating Club & Humane Society. To help stop the spread of CoVid-19 and keep everyone safe, we thank you in advance for following our procedures and guidelines as outlined below.
PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
- We are very sorry but at this time we are unable to accommodate beginner skaters that cannot balance without assistance. To allow us to follow social distancing guidelines all participants must be able to balance unassisted on the ice
- We are limiting our classes to 5 classes on ice per session and limiting participants to 10 per class
- Masks are mandatory
- Temperature check and hand sanitizing check in when you enter our facility
- You may enter the facility 20 minutes prior to the start of class and must leave within 15 minutes of end of practice time. All classes include 30 minute lesson in designated strip on the ice followed by 30 minutes practice time in same area
- Once you register, you will be contacted to pre arrange skate rental so your clean skates will be waiting for you when you arrive. We STRONGLY RECOMMEND, for your own safety, to purchase your own skates. We will offer special pricing on purchasing skates
- ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY ! All participants must be registered online 5 days prior to the start of the session. NO WALK INS
- Due to the limited class space NO partial sessions are permitted. All in for the 8 weeks
- When participants arrive they will be directed to a designated rink side area where skates and name tag will be waiting for you
- You will be required to sign a Mandatory Waiver when you receive your confirmation email
- We ask that you notify us immediately should you, your child, or someone in your household becomes ill
LEARN TO SKATE CLASSES FOR SUMMER 2021
SUMMER LEARN TO SKATE CLASSES – BEGIN WEDNESDAY, JUNE 16th
Important Note: To allow us to better manage student registrations, our shopping cart only allows you to add one item to the shopping cart, which means you can only register for one class at a time.
If you need to register multiple skaters, please check out for your first class.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
6:45 pm – 7:45 pm
Start date: 4/16/2021
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
1:30 am – 2:30 pm
Start date: 4/25/2021
Frequently Asked Questions
What Level do I sign up for?
Overview of Levels:
Snowplow Sam- NOT AT THIS TIME
Beginner skaters under 7 years old-learn the basic skills of skating
Basic 1&2 -Introductory level for children 7 and older- learn basic forward and backward skating
Basic 3- FUNdamental level learning forward stroking and introduction to edges
Basic 4- FUNdamental level learning forward edges and crossovers, intro to spins
Basic 5-FUNdamental level learning backward edges and crossovers
Basic 6- FUNdamental level learning more advanced stops &skating maneuvers.
Upon completion of these levels, skaters will be able to confidently advance to more specialized areas of skating.
Pre-Freeskate – NOT AT THIS TIME
Progressive skating skills, transitions, spins, and jumps
Adult: All the basics in an Adult setting
Intro to Hockey: – NOT AT THIS TIME
Basic skating with attention to balance, shuffles and c-cuts used in hockey skating
What do I do on the first day of class?
Please arrive 15-20 minutes prior to the start of class
Proceed to the registration table to check in
Pick up your skate rental from the Skate Shop
What does the fee include ?
Thirty minute lesson once a week for 4 – 10 weeks (depending on the program)
Rental skates during group lesson time (skate rentals are available from tots size 9)
Thirty minute practice session
How should I dress my child for class?
Warm, comfortable clothes (pants and sweatshirt ok, but no snow suits)
Gloves or mittens
One pair of socks
Helmet (required for tot and lower levels skaters – please bring your own)
Do you recommend learning in hockey skates?
It’s easier for first time skaters to learn in figure skates because they are longer which provides the skater with more stability. For your convenience, rental figure skates are included with your registration fee. If you would like to purchase your own skates, please see our skate shop manager.
What happens if I can’t make a class?
Program fees are NON-REFUNDABLE after the first class. No make-up classes will be issued for classes missed.